Saturday 19 March 2011

Gaura Purnima 2011

Happy Gaura Purnima and Happy Holi, all of you!

Gaura Purnima marks the birthday and appearance of our dear Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. There was a nice celebration here today for Gaura Purnima. I stepped into the Sindhi Hall and I could hear some verses being chanted. I climbed the stairs to get to the second floor. The chanting was getting louder and clearer. As I climbed the stairs, I realized that the glorious Bramha Samhita was being chanted. Oh, my heart longed to go closer and closer! I found my pace quicken as I climbed the stairs. I just wanted to be there! I didn't want to miss the recitation! I have read the translation before, but of course, I don't remember it - so I didn't even know what the verses meant but it was just calling out to me. I quickly climbed the stairs and entered the hall and found a place to sit. God, it sounded so beautiful! There were tears in my eyes. I was quite surprised that hearing the Bramha Samhita being recited could have such an effect on me. I pulled out my Blackberry to open the Bramha Samhita on my phone to follow the recital. Needless to say, I could not find which verse we were on. Moreover, I just wanted to listen to it. It was so blissful.

Govindam adi purusham tam aham bhajami

Then there was a kirtan. A beautiful kirtan. I always want to dance in kirtans but I never do. I see everyone around me, dancing ecstatically, just relishing the Holy Names... Why can't I feel that? Even when I feel a little bit ecstatic, I hold back from dancing. Most times, I find myself fighting back tears. There's just something so moving about kirtans, but only if you shut everything out and just listen to the Holy Names, and beg Krishna for bhakti. Anyway, some time later, they made us get up and dance. So I stood up, and I danced and clapped a little. Maybe one day, I will taste the ecstasy other devotees feel when they dance in kirtan. Maybe one day, Lord Chaitanya will grant me this favor, to taste ecstasy the way He did.

Afterwards, there was a little lecture, followed by another kirtan. Omg, how could I forget! The deities! OMG they were BEAUTIFUL! There were these ladoo gopals and little deities all placed in a giant lotus, surrounded by prasadam! Wow, they looked so amazing! I could have stared all day! There was also a Gaura Aarti which is one my most favourite things in this entire universe.

Another interesting thing occurred today. It seems that the full moon today marks the closest the moon has come to Earth. And it is Gaura Purnima. I don't know what you think, but I think Lord Chaitanya's moon is rising!







May we always keep Nimai and Nitai close to our hearts. May we always be grateful to them for so freely distributing their mercy to everyone.

Natai Gaur Premanande Hari Hari Bol!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful ! Mataji, in which mandir are Their Lordships situated?
    Also hv u takes treatment for ur OCD? Some good medicines are prescribed in the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hare Krishna, Prem.

    The deities you see in the pictures are owned by devotees here in Dubai.
    And regarding my treatment, I'm currently visiting a counsellor once a week who is helping me get through it. I am taking some homeopathic medicines as well to improve the quality of my sleep. Thank you for your concern, Prabhu.

    ReplyDelete

The Tale of The Two Wolves

A grandfather is talking with his grandson and he says there are two wolves inside of us which are always at war with each other.  One o...