Friday 18 September 2009

How to Lose Weight

It's the weekend! And this weekend is going to last 7 days! FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABulous! Eid is on Sunday and so we have a wonderfully long holiday.

Aah...

So anyway, I thought I'd blog about the workout routine and diet I followed to lose weight. Here goes:

  • Walking.


That's all I did. For 3 - 4 - 5 hours every single day.

Yes, it really works. You can lose like 0.5 - 1 kg every week. Here's the math:

  • 1 hour of walking burns approximately 350 calories

  • 1 pound = 3500 calories


So in order to lose 1 pound a week, you would have to burn 3500 calories. 7000 calories if you want to lose 2 pounds, which is 1 kilogram. To burn 3500 calories, you would have to burn at least 500 calories everyday + the calories you consumed during the day.

The important thing is that you keep a calorie count, or a "food journal" if you will. A quick Google search will tell you how many calories a particular food item carries. Accordingly, you can decide whether you need to walk less or more to burn 500 calories a day.

I noticed that usually, in the beginning of these diets and workouts, the effect is much greater. My theory is that in time, your body gets accustomed to it and so adjusts accordingly. So I would recommend starting strong, not easy and then topping it up a notch week after week. If you could eat 500 calories lesser every day, that would work too, for the beginning weeks. Then I guess when you reach the limit and can't cut out any calories anymore, your weight will just remain at that, provided you don't add heavy foodstuff to your new diet. A magazine I was reading today mentioned that cutting 250 calories out of your diet, and exercise to burn off another 250 everyday would work.

So if you consume about 700 calories in a day, you would have to burn 700 + 500 = 1200 calories. So walk for around 3.5 - 4 hours.

Also, switch to low-fat and diet substitutes. Really worth it.

It's pretty easy. All you have to do is keep walking no matter where you are. Walk when you're on the phone, when you're watching TV, with a friend, while you read a book, while brushing even... The list is endless. Keep a count so you can track your progress.

I've tried this out two times so far, 4 years apart, and I would say that it is highly effective. It's also a stretch-mark-free way of losing weight as it's steady and you lose weight gradually from all over your body. After most of the body fat is gone, aerobic exercises and toning exercises could be done to convert the little remaining fat into muscle. It's what I'm doing and it really works. Blessed was the day I stumbled upon the magic of walking to lose weight. I don't know the name of the person, but thanks, you discoverer, you.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good and sounds very do-able. I must give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it is rather simple, actually! I've done it twice and both times worked amazingly well for me!

    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear that! Did you follow any particular diet plan with this ( low carb, low fat, etc...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. I cut out all fizzy drinks and avoided eating chocolate, I switched to low-fat milk and yogurt. I was trying to eat fresh and healthy and in lesser quantities, which is what one of my friends advised me to do long ago. He said that I shouldn't stop eating, I should just cut what I eat in half - so if you usually have like 2 burgers, eat just one instead. Some people also say you should eat a little slowly so you feel full. I calculated how many calories I consumed and accordingly that helped determined how many hours I needed to walk in order to burn those calories as well as some more. Also, I avoided eating snacks during the day - I would just stick to 3 meals a day, with a gap of around 6 hours (+/- 1) between each meal

    ReplyDelete

The Tale of The Two Wolves

A grandfather is talking with his grandson and he says there are two wolves inside of us which are always at war with each other.  One o...