Monday 5 July 2010

Sleepless Night + 26 Qualities of a Devotee

It's past 3 am and I just cannot sleep! I'm sick... AGAIN. Excess mucous, sore throat, stuffed nose, blocked ear... GRRRRRR! Well I'm feeling better now, though. I swear, I don't know, call me crazy but before I chanted my round today, I prayed that Krishna would heal me. And oh my gosh, I started feeling better while chanting. Like I was finding it a lot easier to breathe. Cool beans, huh? :)

Anyways, I'm kind of like blind now, because of this terrible malady. Like, I cannot see clearly if I look left or right. It's hazy, unless I turn my head so that I am looking straight. I've been trying to sleep for soooooooooooooooooooooo long but it just won't haaaaaappppuuuuunnnnnnn! That might, I repeat, might, have something to do with the fact that I was asleep all day because of the cough syrup? See, I woke up at 2 pm, and then I went to sleep again at 5ish because I was so drowsy, then I woke up at around 8 or 9 to have dinner. I got back into bed at around 2 am. BUT I CANNOT SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPa.

And so, I shall blog.

ABOUT HOW I CANNOT SLEEP!

No, just kidding. Like I would do that to you. That would be so boring. Not boring enough to put me to sleep though... alas...

So let's see... I'm currently watching Sheep in the Big City. I LOVE this cartoon! I hated it at first but it's just so funny now.

On a more life-fulfilling, useful, substantial note, I recently found out about the 26 qualities of a devotee. Someone who posted the article suggested that we focus on one quality a day. And that's what I have been doing. It's amazing actually. You know, I find that I am put in situations where I would absolutely be required to exhibit that particular quality. Like, suppose I have to focus on the quality of seeing everything with equal vision. I find that I am put in situations that have me comparing different religions, different miracles, different types of people... all to remind me that I need to see with equal vision. It doesn't happen everyday, but it does happen nonetheless. I'm grateful for the little practice that Krishna gives m though. Here is a list of the qualities:

  1. Kind, merciful

  2. Humble, does not quarrel

  3. Truthful, fixed in the Absolute Truth

  4. Equal to all

  5. Faultless

  6. Charitable and magnanimous

  7. Composed, stable, satisfied

  8. Clean

  9. Simple, without material possession

  10. Benevolent

  11. Peaceful

  12. Completely attached to krishna

  13. Desireless, without material hankering

  14. Modest, indifferent towards material acquisitions or attainments

  15. Steady, fixed (in dedication to the Krishna conscious path)

  16. Self-controlled

  17. Does not eat more than required

  18. Sane, healthy

  19. Respectful

  20. Humble, free from false prestige

  21. Grave, serious (about the fact that material life can end and the goal is to reach Krishna)

  22. Compassionate

  23. Friendly

  24. Poetic (in the sense that he relates everything to Krishna's transcendental nature)

  25. Silent

  26. Expert


For a more detailed list, with a brief description of each quality, please click here

I feel like I have already become a better person after focusing on each of these qualities for a day. I am now on quality no. 8: Clean.

My eyelids are getting a little heavy. But I know sleep will not come just as yet :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tale of The Two Wolves

A grandfather is talking with his grandson and he says there are two wolves inside of us which are always at war with each other.  One o...