Sunday 21 November 2010

Peacocks, Courage and a Special Feeling

Last week, on Monday to be precise, I went with some friends to Hatta. On the way there, I saw a rainbow for the first time EVER. It was so exciting! What was even more exciting was the thought about my deal with Krishna. Everytime it would rain, I would just hope and hope to see a rainbow. So I made this deal with Krishna: If I see a rainbow, it will be a gift for me from Him. So remembering this, I began to wonder if it was really a gift for me. Call it silly, but after having lived 20 years of my life and never seeing a rainbow, which is so hard to believe, it really did feel like a gift. So for confirmation, I thought if I get to see a peacock sometime during the day, it would mean that the rainbow was definitely a gift from Krishna. Lol, I feel kind of childish and silly typing out all these funny thoughts! Either way, I didn't come across one. Although, we did stop in front of a store called "Al Sakhi" (Al in Arabic means 'the'). Sakhi just made me think of how Krishna was Radharani's saakhi and that itself made me feel Krishna's presence.

So I didn't come across a peacock, but 2 days later, on Wednesday, one of my friends gifted me a shirt with a peacock on it. I couldn't help but think Krishna might have been teasing me!

On Friday, I was walking home when these weirdo guys started bothering me. One of them called out to me and I just ignored him. I just prayed to Krishna for protection, calling upon Him to keep me away from harm. That guy was walking with his friend near/behind me, so I slowed down and stopped so they would be in front of me. Obviously, it would be safer for me to walk behind them. Then he said, "What? Are you scared?" I called out to Nrishinga Deva. I don't know what came over me then. The guys were in front of me, and the one talking to me looked back at me. And I really really don't know how or why I did this, but I just stared at him. I just stared right at him. He looked at me for a few seconds and then looked away. I had reached my building by then so I just went inside. I think he might have turned back to look. But the gravity of the situation occurred to me later. How could I have just stared back at a guy who was harassing me? Where did that courage come from? There's only one answer, one word: Krishna. Usually I just ignore them, or I yell at them, abuse them, or say that I will call the police. Maybe I might have stared back or given dirty looks, but I don't explicitly remember doing so. But this time, the guy was right in front of me, turning back and looking at me, talking to me again and again, and I didn't even say a word. I can't believe how calmly I stared back!

Krishna promised to be my strength. He promised to protect. Thank You.

Today (Sunday), I woke up with a devotional high. In the morning I sang songs about Krishna and I felt so close to Krishna. I had a feeling that today was going to be a special day; that Krishna definitely had something in store. The day progressed, and in the evening my friend called me for Damodar Aarti. I wasn't going to go but I ended up going anyway. It was like everything was going well, and there were no obstacles in my way, whatsoever, to prevent me from attending the aarti today. Usually there are, but today, the obstacles themselves moved out of the way - no jokes! Later, I realized that this aarti was probably what Krishna had planned for me, and it was a wonderful surprise. The aarti and the little lecture was marvellous. Especially since today was the last day of Kartik, I felt like Krishna wanted me to celebrate the last day of this Kartik month with Him. In the lecture, Prabhu explained the Damodar Leela. He mentioned something very interesting: When Yashoda Maiya would try to tie the ropes around Krishna's waist, it would always be "2 fingers" too short. So Yashoda Maiya would untie the ropes from the cow's necks to attach to the rope she had in her hand. This was Krishna's plan as He wanted the cows to have fun as well. So she joined the ropes but it was still 2 fingers too short. No matter how many ropes she joined, it was not enough. Then she got tired and she told Krishna to let her tie Him. So He did. Prabhu explained that this incident and the "2 fingers" signify how 1) we should try to get close to Krishna, to worship Krishna; it signifies our efforts and 2) the Lord's will and His mercy. That's very interesting, isn't it?

Have a blessed day!

Hare Krishna :)

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I so enjoyed reading this! You are just like me :-)

    I do this too. Now that I'm back on the devotion path, I asked Krishna to give me a sign that he has forgiven me for my lapses. (I always ask for peacock feathers!) I didnt see anything that day - but the very next day - the cafe near my flat had a new mural on its wall - huge peacock feathers.

    The rational logical part of me tries to reason that this is just a coincidence but the 'bhakth' in me knows that this is a sign - it His way of showing things. He may not always show it on the day or in the way we want it - He always does it in His own sweet way.

    Your shirt with a peacock IS a sign - no doubt!

    Hare Krishna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Blissfully amazing!
    Krishna leaving you lost for words is leaving me lost for words!
    Drainpiper, i wanted to quote some line of yours, but each is as beautiful as the next.
    May Krishna forever, forever leave us on such a devotional high!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hare Krishna!
    Thanks for the comments :) I pray that Krishna's presence may be felt and seen by us all, again and again and again! Krishna, please give us the ability to feel Your love. Like You blessed Arjuna with divine vision on the battlefield to see Your opulent universal form, bless us with the vision to see You all the time! Lord, the highest place we can be is at Your beautiful lotus feet. Krishna, we want to be on a spiritual high!

    Ash, Krishna has already given you a sign to let you know that He has forgiven you, but I just want to tell you that He really has :) I know this because He is our Father. I know this because I have gone running to Him many times, after sinning time and time again, and He has always consoled me and shown me that He is still there, loving me. He has already even given you a sign that He has forgiven you. And I know in my heart that He really really has. I can feel it. Krishna would never turn His back on you. The important thing is that you didn't forget Him, and even despite your difficulties, you leaned on Him. And that's what really matters to Him... a LOT :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. //Lord, the highest place we can be is at Your beautiful lotus feet.//

    What do i say, Drainpiper?
    No words beyond that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari bol, i just pray that krishna reveal himself to me hears my prayer and bless me with much more spiritual progress. want to see him talk with him and feel his presence every second.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hare Krishna,

    Don't worry, just talk to Krishna as much as you can, as you would with a friend, and he will reciprocate :)

    ReplyDelete

The Tale of The Two Wolves

A grandfather is talking with his grandson and he says there are two wolves inside of us which are always at war with each other.  One o...