Wednesday 18 September 2013

Frustration

There are these moments in life where you feel frustrated and disillusioned. You don't know whether to run or hide or whether you should take the bull by the horns or just let things fall where they may. Right now, this is how I feel. I'm frustrated because I have a psychological disorder that affects my life, because I have several dietary restrictions due to food intolerances, because I haven't been unable to find a decent job.


I have been out of a job for the past few months. I'm not even keen on working for someone because of how abusive and manipulative employers can be. I feel like I've been through quite a lot, in the sense that my patience was really tested at my previous jobs. I don't want to get into the details but lets say I have seen how companies can be unethical and blatantly lie to their clients, and I have had my employers be so controlling even when it came to things like taking lunch breaks and even a 2 minute break to drink water. Feeling abused and disheartened, I left my job because I felt like I was not being respected as a human being. I wouldn't be surprised if things like this happened everywhere around the world, too. These are tough times we're living in.

The reason for frustration, as I understand it, is when something is lacking. I mean this on a deep level, not in the sense of material desires like having the latest iPhone or the biggest house. I mean necessities like a job, security, shelter, etc. Frustration stems from this lack of security and protection. It leads to anxiety of the future because there is uncertainty and a lack of stability. While I am sitting here, feeling waves of frustration wash over me again and again, I thought I'll have a look at what the Bhagavad Gita says in order to deal with my feeling of helplessness.


But those who worship Me with devotion, meditating on My transcendental form--to them I carry what they lack and preserve what they have.      BG 9.22

Such deep consolation, knowing that Krishna will be there to assist you, by maintaining what you have and by making up for whatever it is that you lack. Everyone feels some sense of lacking in one way or another. Lack of strength, confidence, self-esteem, money, intelligence. So many other things. Let Krishna be your strength, your confidence, your pride, your wealth and your intelligence. Let him provide for you what you lack.

Anyone who prays unto Me and takes shelter from Me becomes My ward, and I protect him always from all sorts of calamities.     Lord Narasimhadeva, Narasimha Purana

This uncertainty of the future, of the state of my career, my wellbeing, my family, etc. are causing me great distress. I must remember to seek shelter of Krishna, and he will protect me from calamity.

He quickly becomes righteous and attains lasting peace. O son of Kunti, declare it boldly that My devotee never perishes.     BG 9:31

Ah, the peace that we are all looking for. Peace and promise of everlasting life.

The steadily devoted soul attains unadulterated peace because he offers the result of all activities to Me; whereas a person who is not in union with the Divine, who is greedy for the fruits of his labor, becomes entangled.     BG 5:12

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I have been praying and asking for things, asking for Krishna to get me out of this mess that I am in. Then I remembered that I must not hanker for the fruit of any activity. I must let Krishna decide the outcome, and I must offer the results of my activities to Gopinath and work for his sake. Do the best you can do and do what you must, but leave the results to Krishna.

Perform your duties to the best of your ability and offer the results to Krishna. He will preserve what you have and should be lacking anything, he will provide it for you, as he sees fit. All the while, he will protect you as he promises and he will give you peace. Frustration will rear its head again and again because it is the nature of this world. But lucky for us, Krishna is on our side. And we all know which side is going to win.

8 comments:

  1. Don't be frustrated, life comes with its own tests and may be this is Gods way of making us all spiritual. Krishna always will protect you no matter what just leave everything on him and try to be happy. I can understand your situation totally I have also been through many difficult times in life but now when I look back it makes me feel everything happens for good only. Hare Krishna!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I'm just counting on Krishna now to get me through this phase. Knowing that whatever is happening is Krishna's will satisfies me. He is our well-wisher and eternal friend - everything that happens happens for the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dp, I'm so sorry to read that things aren't going so well for you . Have you tried looking for those work from home type jobs ? I dont know , but I think there are opportunities for content writers/ technical writers online..if that's related to the kind of work you do . That way you could also take care of your health more .
    And i think, maybe we tend to think way too much ..Its hard not to , but brooding on stuff isnt going to change anything . Plus, it's so draining .
    Meanwhile, keep trying and take comfort in Krishna's promises.
    I have this book on Krishna's life .. and sometimes, when im feeling too anxious , i randomly choose something to read . Its usually a conversation between Krishna and Arjuna, where Arjuna is completely devastated and Krishna appears mildly amused or shocked at his friend's state. Krishna's responses (as described in that book) always makes me laugh. I kind of imagine Krishna reacting in the same ways to me, lol.
    Or when Draupadi is complaining about something to him and Krishna comforts her lovingly and solves her problem .
    My problems are very much there , but it helps me deal with things in a lighter way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi :)

    Yes, I have been looking for jobs where I can work from home. I've kind of lost faith in companies. I've been looking for jobs but I'm being very picky about the companies I choose, applying only to those that I know are reputable so as to avoid being taken advantage of.

    The book sounds interesting! Which one is it? Lately I've been trying to spend more time with Krishna and I've been trying to soak myself in worship of him. I really miss feeling close to him! But I'm feeling better about things already - knowing that everything happens according to his will and that he is watching over me makes it all much easier to bear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there, hows everything going..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Everything's alright, thanks for asking :) I've been really busy for the past few weeks and I've been recovering from some reactions I've had to foods I'm intolerant to. Doing okay though :) How have you been?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not that good either, but im okay :)
    I am just starting up a blog , if u want to check it out sometime..heres the link/url – http://foreveryourskrishna.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for the late response!

    Great to see you have a blog! Hopping over right now :)

    ReplyDelete

The Tale of The Two Wolves

A grandfather is talking with his grandson and he says there are two wolves inside of us which are always at war with each other.  One o...