Friday 20 May 2011

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

I went to the psychiatrist a week ago, after going through a few days of horrible stress and anxiety. The psychiatrist diagnosed me with OCD, and he also said some stuff that I totally don't believe. He said I was going to have OCD forever! No way, dude. He said my case was really severe, which it isn't. I would say it's at a moderate level. Even my therapist said that it's not that severe. I felt like he was exaggerating my situation. He prescribed medication but I'm not willing to take them because of the awful side effects. Therapy seems to be working fine for me so I'm going to stick to that.

I plan to post entries about my experiences with OCD, and about the extremely helpful advice that my counsellor gives me, so that others can perhaps also benefit from it. I have found that such blogs by others with OCD have been incredibly helpful and encouraging, and also give me ideas to deal with things in a new way, so I hope I can offer some support to others as well. It will also help me organize my thoughts and further re-enforce certain thoughts and notions.

There's going to be a new category called 'OCD' with all related blog posts, and every post title will begin with 'OCD' for easier reference. Posts will be about my goals, accomplishments, failures, strategies, therapist's advice, and also, the Bhagavad Gita applied to dealing with OCD. I plan to go through a few verses and the purports and pick out important things that can help in dealing with OCD. The interpretation may be off, and I don't mean to cause any offense, so forgive me if I do so.

5 comments:

  1. its ok..we are with you in every situation with Krishna

    hare Krishna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your support :) It is very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed in November with OCD. Extremely severe case where the meds at times do not even work. I can completely relate. Things will get easier as you learn to handle the anxiety and the stress. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm terribly sorry to hear that you have also been diagnosed with OCD. It is a terrible condition and it is torturous. But just like we learned new behaviors, we have to unlearn them. Its not gonna be easy, but we'll get there! I wish you all the very best!
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AspiringForKrishna4 November 2012 at 02:30

    Hare Krishna,

    I have been a long time sufferer of severe OCD. If OCD is severe You should take medication. Also every day morning after bath chant Vishnu Sahasranamam. Chant daily without fail. There is no illness that can stand in front of Vasudeva. So this Shloka will benefit You immensely.

    yas

    ReplyDelete

The Tale of The Two Wolves

A grandfather is talking with his grandson and he says there are two wolves inside of us which are always at war with each other.  One o...