Wednesday 22 September 2010

Dream about Lord Chaitanya and His Associates + Surrender

A few days ago, I think on Saturday night, I went to bed asking Krishna a very very simple question, to get Him to talk to me. I feel like such a silly child but I was doing it because I wanted Him to speak to me. I have heard of people hearing God's voice and how God guides them and literally speaks to them. Like they actually hear God's voice.  Often, I ask questions and sometimes I don't get an answer, be it in dreams or hearing Krishna's instructive voice, or a sign... anything. Or maybe I do, but I don't realize it. But I wanted a direct answer. So I thought let me ask Krishna a very simple and obvious question, so He will answer me. And I knew I was tricking Him into it, I was even giggling while asking the question. I asked Him:

Govinda, do You accept devotional service?

Then I giggled and I smirked because I knew I was tricking Him into answering me. Then I went to bed. And I had this dream, where a statue of Lord Chaitanya was there with His 4 associates. I bowed down to them and offered my obeisances.

Then I woke up. I tried to trick Krishna and He answered me in a tricky way too! Govinda is very very playful. In the dream I was performing an act of devotional service. Scriptures tell us that Lord Chaitanya began the movement of sankirtan and devotional service. He emphasized on and displayed devotional service all throughout His life. Lord Chaitanya was the embodiment of Radharani's devotion towards Krishna. So with this dream, Krishna answered my oh-so-obvious question about whether He accepts devotional service or not. While I would have loved to receive the answer through Krishna's voice, I am happy, nonetheless, that He answered me. Krishna is absolute. Whether it is in a dream, in a book, in the form of His name, in the form of devotional service, He is absolute. Despite the obvious nature of my question, He still answered me and pacified me. He is full of mercy! I am grateful and I feel loved, for the Lord teaches me in so many ways. It is His wish how He wants to answer us and teach us. And whatever method He chooses will be the best for us.

Sometimes we think that God does not want to answer our prayers. But when He decides not to answer them, that is ultimately the best way to deal with our problems. We are God's servants, not the other way around. Sometimes, God doesn't answer our prayers the way we want Him to. He answers them in a way that will be better for us, in a way that we "need" them to be answered. What is important is that we become submissive and surrender to Krishna's will. Once we express that surrender, Krishna accepts it and takes over everything. Some of my friends and I have noticed, that as soon as we stop trying to control things and we surrender to Krishna's will, all obstacles go away. One of my friends was running late and she couldn't get a cab. So she prayed and said, "Lord, it is in Your hands. Do as You please." She stepped outside and found around 4 cabs waiting there!

I often ask Krishna to let me hear His voice, to hear Him speaking directly to me and instructing me. But perhaps I am not ready yet, to hear His voice. Maybe I will not be able to handle His splendor. Maybe one day... when Krishna thinks I am ready, when He wants me to hear Him and see Him... one day...

Until then... kirtaniya sada hari*

*Always sing the glories of Lord Hari

13 comments:

  1. Ha! Trying to trick the eternal trickster?! :)
    Well, He got you! :) :)

    As far as speaking with Him is concerned, i think He speaks more through His actions.
    But it is important that we keep talking, so there comes a point He has to reply back, touched or amused or whatever.
    He did talk to me, through my dreams, a few times. But His dialogue must always live on in our lives, for as people like us are mad about Him, there is no other respite but to talk to Him.

    Once, during a Sanskrit class, we had a lesson where Narad Muni was transcending the different worlds with ease. So, everyone in the class was joking about how they wished they could go to heaven like that.
    And i said, i wasn't interested in Swarga, i wanted a direct ticket elsewhere. (Do i need to mention it, or you already know what i mean?) i hadn't planned on it,the words just tumbled out of my mouth!
    So, that night, i had this beautiful dream.
    He was sitting on a chair, and i came by His side.
    And, He looks at me, and says- ''Come, see me!"
    He was almost jesting, half smiling.
    And then, in my dream, i mean, am standing before the karpa graha, of Parthasarathy temple.
    Standing on the side, i stretch my head in, just to get a glimpse.
    But, i saw Srinivasa of Tirupati instead smiling that same killer smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Krishna DID give you a beautiful answer. You are indeed very, very blessed.

    Thank you so much for sharing the incident about your friend. Amazing!

    Hare Krishna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I have chills! What an amazing dream!
    There is a verse somewhere that talks about devotees not wanting liberation or any material benefit, or entrance into heavenly planets... They only want to be at Krishna's feet. This is what your dream seems to emphasize on, to me! Like just because you expressed that you did not want heaven, but you wanted Vaikuntha, Krishna came to you in your dreams, to call you! Ooh, it's giving me shivers! Hari Hari bol!

    Yes, He does speak through His actions. But sometimes, it's hard for me to understand His advice. That's because of the material dust that clouds my heart. That's why I long to hear Krishna speak to me so directly, while I am awake, in full consciousness... To actually hear Him speak. Some people have heard God literally speaking to them. So it makes me wonder, if Krishna talks to me too and I just can't hear it, or I'm not ready for it yet. But you're absolutely right. It's VERY important that we keep talking! A devotee once wrote an article about how we must talk to Krishna as though we were talking to one of our dearest friends. In the sense that we need to speak out loud and express our thoughts. We shouldn't be vague and think that since He is God, He already knows everything, so there is no need to say it. We should say it. We should converse with Krishna. And yes, there WILL be a time when He has to reply back, somehow or the other! That's what I was trying to trick Him into! Lol!

    And I'm so fascinated that you have learned Sanskrit! If you don't mind, could you please translate this for me: "Andhatma pravishanti ye asambhuti mupaste" It's from the Yajur Veda, Chapter 40, Verse 9. An Islamic Scholar has said that it means "Those who worship natural things are in darkness." He says it is a statement against idol worship. And this doesn't make sense. Like I'm pretty sure its misinterpretation, taken out of context, and false propaganda. It seems way off but I would still like to know what it really means and what it refers to. If you don't mind, could you tell me what it means, according to what you know? Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari bol, Ash!

    So many such incidents have happened. And it's really true... When you just surrender to Krishna and leave everything to Him, He takes care of it beautifully. Of course, that doesn't mean we completely neglect our duties. Krishna advises against such inaction. All we need to do is offer our actions to Him, work for Him, and surrender to Him. We need to trust Him to take care of us. If you read some of the book distribution stories online, you will notice the multitude of success stories of devotees who have surrendered to Krishna on their book distributions. HH Radhanath Swami says that surrender is like telling Krishna, "I am Yours." Let the Lord do with us what He will. Chaitanya Mahaprabhu is the perfect example for this. He prayed, "Krishna, You are free and independent in all respects. You can either embrace me or crush me under your feet - whatever you like. You may make me brokenhearted by not letting me see you throughout my whole life, but you are my only object of love."

    Ah, now this has put me in the mood for reading Lord Chaitanya's siksastakam! Lord Chaitanya's devotion is just so infectious! Praise be :)

    Hare Krishna :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. //Despite the obvious nature of my question, He still answered me and pacified me. He is full of mercy! I am grateful and I feel loved, for the Lord teaches me in so many ways.//
    What words does one use, to describe, how wonderful He can make His devotees feel?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's why I am so grateful for Krishna's names! I often find that when I am overwhelmed, all I can do to describe how I feel is to just keep saying Krishna's names or some phrases related to Krishna, at least until I calm down. Nothing else comes out! How much can I praise Him? How many times can I tell Him just how amazing He is and how great He makes me feel? How many different words can I use? It's never enough. Sooner or later, even those words run out. And all I am left with is the feeling. And that's when even the dustiest corners of my heart yell out, "Haribol!" The only way I can probably describe those feelings are by constantly glorifying His names! Oh, no other words at all... nothing will ever do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was fantastic! Excellent! Thank you so much for taking out the time to explain this to me. The Islamic Scholar Dr Zakir Naik made a statement about this verse and I have been wondering about it. It didn't make any sense at all! From a lot of research online, I found that Dr Zakir often misinterprets these Sanskrit verses, as do a lot of other scholars, to serve their own purposes. I just could not accept his translation. There was just something so gravely wrong about it. What you explained makes perfect sense! I am going to check into the translations of the scholars you have mentioned here.
    Thank you so much :)

    Your mention of Sri Ramanuja reminded me about this video clip I saw once (although I'm not sure if it is the same Sri Ramanuja that we are referring to). It's titled "Vedic Cosmos" or "Vedic Cosmology" on Youtube. Anyhow, there is a little clip about Sri Ramanuja and the Mahabharata. It is MINDBLOWING! The truth in the Mahabharata, as depicted in this video, just swept me off my feet. It's in the 4th part on Youtube. If you don't have time, just watch this clip. Or else, do watch the entire thing. Here is a link to that part: http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=sjW1nJYTEro&feature=watch_response

    Hare Krishna!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, i saw the video, though did not have time to got hrough the whole thing, it is indeed Sri Ramanuja that the video describes...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am never ever going to be able to forget that drawing, for as long as I live! There is another series of videos titled "Scientific Verification of the Vedas" which is just as fascinating. Do watch it, when you have the time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, given that we were talking so much about Sri Ramanuja, i thought i'll refer you to this translation of Saranagathi Gadyam.
    http://srivaishnavam.com/stotras/Sgadyamean.html
    This is sort of the intercourse between the Lord and Sri Ramanuja when he surrendered unto Him.
    (This "sort of..."explanation of mine will draw flak from any true Sri Vaishnava, but i am too ignorant myself)
    It is beautiful reading (what would make it tough is the allusions to Tamil here and there maybe, but nevertheless...), and so heartfelt, that it makes me cry when i read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds very very interesting! Thanks for the link. I'll check it out tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! i had a similar experience a few days before...it gives me the chills...
    When i was going to sleep, i asked Him- "How come You don't appear in my dreams nowadays? Where are those days when You'd be there everyday night?"

    That night, i had a dream, wherein i saw Sri Ramanujar!!!!
    So, Krishna is indirectly showing me the spiritual guru and asking me to work harder at Him!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! Hari Hari!

    Dreaming of devotees of the Lord and of one's spiritual master are very significant... actually dreaming about anything related to Krishna is like the most AMAZING and most significant thing ever!

    Haribol!

    ReplyDelete

The Tale of The Two Wolves

A grandfather is talking with his grandson and he says there are two wolves inside of us which are always at war with each other.  One o...