Friday 31 August 2012

OCD and The Bhagavad Gita: Chapter 2 Verses 31-40

Krishna is encouraging Arjuna to fight. Fight. Fight. I must get up and fight this obsessive thoughts. 

"Do thou fight for the sake of fighting, without considering happiness or distress, loss or gain, victory or defeat--and, by so doing, you shall never incur sin." (BG 2.38)

We must not do anything for our own profit. Whatever we do, we must do for Krishna. Whether we work or eat or study... everything must be done as an offering to Krishna. Krishna tells Arjuna to rise above dualities and be free from anxiety, and to be established in the Self. This is what I must do. I must rise above this duality of what is clean and dirty. That is what is causing me so much anxiety. Krishna instructs Arjuna to never be attached to not doing his duty. This is what I have been doing, isn't it? I have let my OCD stop me from fulfilling my duties. My duty now is to work and support my family but for a while, I hadn't been able to do so. With the mercy of the Lord, I have been able to start working and I will continue to lean on Him for support to keep working so I can look after my family.

And we must continue to engage in devotional service, for that is what Krishna says will free us from karma.

"One who is not disturbed in spite of the threefold miseries, who is not elated when there is happiness, and who is free from attachment, fear and anger, is called a sage of steady mind. He who is without attachment, who does not rejoice when he obtains good, nor lament when he obtains evil, is firmly fixed in perfect knowledge.(BG 2.56-57)

This is what our aim should be. And the way to achieve this aim is to keep our focus on Krishna, and to immerse ourselves in devotional service. Krishna says that there can be no happiness without peace, which comes after having a steady mind. The way to have a steady mind is to be absorbed in Krishna. Krishna says that the person who is not disturbed by his desires can achieve peace, not those who strive to satisfy their desires. I am of the latter. I strive to no end to satisfy my desires of keeping myself and my things clean even if they were not dirty to begin with. I must restrain and fight these desires if I want to achieve some steadiness of the mind.

Arjuna was right when he said that it is easier to tame the wind than the mind.

But Krishna is the answer.

2 comments:

  1. AspiringForKrishna6 November 2012 at 09:29

    Hare Krishna Prabhuji/Mataji,

    I have suffered from OCD for last 17 years. The disorder is difficult but You can get over it. Please follow the physicians instructions. Also if possible please chant Vishnu Sahasranamam along with Phalashruti after taking bath everyday (without break). No disorder can stand in front of Vishnu.

    Wishing You a life of peace and happiness.

    yas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hare Krishna. Thanks for your comment. I have been in therapy and I often resort to thinking of Radha-Shyamsundar when the intrusive thoughts come in. Chanting the Nrshinga Pranam also gives me strength :-)

    I'm sorry to hear that you suffer from OCD as well. I hope you have sought professional medical help for it. I have, and it has greatly helped.

    ReplyDelete

The Tale of The Two Wolves

A grandfather is talking with his grandson and he says there are two wolves inside of us which are always at war with each other.  One o...