Thursday 14 July 2011

OCD: Observations

I feel like I've forgotten how to do the simplest of things, like washing my hands, putting on socks, taking a shower... It all feels so different and like I've never done it before. I'm concentrating so much on my every move, trying so hard not to make mistakes and to get it done right. I want to let myself go and just do these things without a second thought, the way I used to.

But how?

I need to relearn things. I need to pretend like I'm a child, and I need to be taught this stuff all over again. And I figure the way to do that is through observation. I've been looking at people around me and trying to imitate them. It's hard, so I try to start with the simple things. Like for instance, I see people drop things on the floor and pick it up. When I drop something on the floor, I will either get someone else to pick it up; or pick it up and then clean my hands; or just leave it there; or get tissues and pick it up and clean the object. No one else does this! By looking at others so easily pick things up off the floor, I figured I ought to be able to do it too. So I made progress with that - I would be able to pick up things but I wouldn't touch the part of it that touched the floor, and I would make sure not to touch the floor with my hands by mistake.

So my plan is to watch others and see how they go about doing things and try to copy them so I can sort of re-learn how to do things. Some things I'd like to eventually be able to do:

    Pick things off the floor
    Walk barefeet at home
    Not care if my pants touch the floor
    Not care if I touch the soles of my shoes


Even watching people wash hands has helped a little. Earlier I would panic so much if my hands touched the edge of the sink (it never did by the way - I just keep thinking that it does). But once I watched someone wash their hands and not bother if their hands touched the edge of the sink. That made me feel lighter about it happening, which never does but it makes me feel safe to know that it's okay if it ever does happen one day. Watching people do these things is helpful - it somehow lets me know that if I do the same thing, I'll be just as clean as them. I really just envy how others can feel so clean and I just feel filthy all the time.

What simply amazes me is that people can wash their hands in 30 seconds and I'm in there for 10-15 minutes just washing my hands! Yeah, you bet I'm exhausted!

Sigh. It's been a long few months dealing with all of this every day. But giving up is not the answer. I reckon I'll post a list of my observations when I have enough and then pick some for exposure. These are such small simple things that have become so hard to do. But one day my friends, one day. I need to pick a thing to expose myself to every now and then and keep building it up. Observe. And then expose.

Got it. Not.

Well, we'll see.

4 comments:

  1. Dear DP,
    Forgive my continued absence!
    i do not know where to begin, but your out blogging is quite positive, atleast compared to before.
    So, let's hope and pray Krishna blesses you abundantly to get out this situation.
    Also,

    http://photofeature.divyadesam.com/thiru-mugham/part-1/sri-azhagiya-singar.jpg

    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_htR78pphHVQ/SlDGkZEPP8I/AAAAAAAAADg/wZvAI6yddu4/s320/parthasarathy_azhagiya4.jpg

    http://i.pbase.com/g4/95/360595/2/63412149.w0XMrg0r.jpg

    The first pic is of Azhagiya Singar (The Beautiful Lion-Faced Lord) which shows a close-up of His hands. He invites His devotees by pointing His index finger saying- "Shun all your fears. i may look like a ferocious lion, but i am Your Lord. i am always available to you who loves me so much. Come NOW!"
    The second is that of Him in the Yoga Narasimmha pose, the way He is within the temple as a moolavar.
    The third link is that of Him looking dazzling. To His right is Sridevi and to His left, Bhoomidevi. It is said this Narasimmha in particular is very powerful.
    The entrance to His sanctum sanctorum is at the back of the Parthasarathy temple. Now, He used to be Ugra Narasimmha (Angry-Faced) and His anger was so horrid that the door (back entrance) was kept shut so that He was not provoked by anyone's misdeeds.Only His devotees entered through the front entrance and had a darshan of Him.
    Then, Thaayar (in Tamil, means mother, referring to Sri Lakshmi, the Mother of the Entire Universe, the One who Rules over the Ruler Himself) came there and comforted Her lord.
    He then is said to have become the calm Yoga Narasimmha.
    Ofcourse, this is a verbal account i heard. But, the fact remains that what happened when the Narasimmha Avatara actually took place was repeated here.
    Also, this Narasimmha is very famous for curing diseases as i already told you. His very sanctum sanctorum is so reassuring.
    i know you are not into asking Him for favours, but consider this: isn'tt this problem hindering the time and association with our dear Krishna?
    So, please ask Him to help you.
    Not as a business deal, but as a friend to a friend, as a lover to a lover. As Aandal unto Krishna, Radha unto Krishna, and as Partha unto Parthasarathy.
    Surrender to Him and ask Him to help you.
    Wednesdays are supposed to be special for Narasimmha. Keep this photo in your house, in your laptop or something, and offer prayers unto Him.
    Do this for your friend if not for yourself.
    Wishing and Praying for Your Speedy Recovery,
    ILWK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Thanks for the links and the wonderful explanations. I haven't had chance to check them out as yet as I'm online from my phone but I hope to do so soon! I'm sure they're just as breath-taking as you describe! I have been praying to Krishna but unfortunately I feel a loss of connection :( its been so long since I felt close to Him! I miss that feeling so much! Sigh, you're really right - this is all taking up so much time away from Krishna. I ought to pray more. The other day I decided to pray to Nrishinga all throughout my shower (which is very tiring and time-consuming because of my compulsive habits). I decided to chant the Nrishinga Pranam and I prayed that I would depend on the potency of the Lord's Holy Name to help me, rather than on my sincerity and purity. For who knows if my chanting will ever be sincere and pure? That day, the shower was easier to deal with. So powerful the Lord's names are - yet I find it so hard to always depend on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey DP,
    i read about ur thoughts on not getting a job...it's a phase u'll get over by Krishna's grace....why dont u try something that is like part-time? So, u can get into a set habit of going to work...without going to work, maybe your mind ponders too much over ur already problematic OCD issues...

    // That day, the shower was easier to deal with. So powerful the Lord’s names are – yet I find it so hard to always depend on them!//

    u know, one of my friends has had a serious health problem which leaves her literally living on tablets, and many other symptoms....she was talking about how the doc (Also a devotee) said that only He must relieve her of the pain...that time (while we were discussing this) ,some one said something very powerful to my heart: "When we stand in front of Him, there is such a reassuring feeling that all our problems seem to melt away....But, problem or not, whether we find a solution to our problems or not,...we HAVE been given this birth...HIS FEET ARE OUR ONLY RESPITE!"
    :)
    Thought i'll share it with u :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi

    Yup, I've been looking for part-time jobs now. Perhaps it would do me good to get out of the house and get used to 'going to work'.

    That was a great thought - so true. Whatever it is, we are here in this world of misery and danger, and with Him is the only place we will be safe, He is the only source of joy.

    ReplyDelete

The Tale of The Two Wolves

A grandfather is talking with his grandson and he says there are two wolves inside of us which are always at war with each other.  One o...